Sign In Forgot Password

Our History

the early years (1869 - 1954)

Lippman & Rose Kelm, 1 of 25 families that founded Society Anshe Amunim

Society Anshe Amunim was founded by 25 families in Pittsfield on November 14th, 1869, and  in 1904, Anshe Amunim affiliated with the Union of American Hebrew Congregations (now known as the Union for Reform Judaism), formally establishing ties to Reform Judaism which are still maintained and embraced more than 149 years later.  A long-standing principle of Anshe Amunim has been the inclusion of both genders in worship and leadership activities, as well as welcoming and respecting participation by interfaith couples and families.

In 1887, the educational program of our congregation was established as the Hebrew Sunday School program .  The program would later evolve into the Temple’s Religious School program, a strong program which promotes a deep and diverse religious curriculum for the youth of the congregation. 

 

1931 saw the establishment of the Temple Junior League, an organization which would later evolve into PFTY, the Pittsfield Federation of Temple Youth, which works on community service projects and encourages the growth of adolescent Jewish life throughout Berkshire County.  College-aged Temple members continue to benefit from the Isabella Kelm Scholarship, established in 1967 to encourage continued growth into the Jewish community by our Temple confirmands.

   

the middle years (1954 - 1984)

Temple Anshe Amunim was blessed by the arrival of Rabbi Harold I. Salzmann (z"l) to Pittsfield in 1954.  Rabbi Salzmann would serve the congregation for 30 years, and upon his retirement in 1984 was designated Rabbi Emeritus. Rabbi Salzmann continued to actively serve the congregation through his participation in services until his passing.

In 1958, the congregation sought land to construct a new Temple building, as Anshe Amunim had outgrown its property on Fenn and Willis Streets in Pittsfield, which had been home to the congregation since 1927.  In 1959, the England & Blau families of Pittsfield donated land to the congregation on Broad Street and Wendell (our current home).  Designed by New York architect Henry Blatner, Anshe Amunim's new Broad Street building was opened and dedicated in August of 1964.  It has since won numerous architectural awards and has bee featured in several publications for its unique features which include a domed synagogue and golden ark. 

                  

                                                     

 

 

 

 

 

today (1984 - Present)

In the 1990's, the Women of Reform Judaism (Sisterhood) undertook a long and laborious task intended to further beautify the interior of our Broad Street building.   Completed in 2000, the WRJ replaced our four Torah covers with hand-stitched covers designed by local artist Jonathan Nix.

In 2002, Temple Anshe Amunim enacted a capital campaign designed to meet many of the long range structural goals of our congregation.  Our successful “People of Faith: Renewing the Legacy” campaign resulted in major functional and aesthetic improvements to our Temple building, most of which were completed by 2007.

The mid 2000’s has led to several new developments in how Temple Anshe Amunim worship, allowing for more engaging and widespread participation in services and education.  In 2007, the congregation began to adapt Mishkan T’filah, the CCAR’s latest siddur which allows for universal participation in worship through Hebrew and English translations.  We have also incorporated The Torah: A Women’s Commentary into Saturday morning Shabbat services and Adult Education seminars, providing a more gender-neutral interpretation to the teachings of the Torah.

In 2012, the Temple in conjunction with Knesset Israel synagogue began a Hebrew school program known as CHAI (Community Hebrew Action Initiative), in addition to our Religious School program. 

In 2014, TAA embarked on a new capital campaign to improve the accessibility of the Temple.  The "L'dor v'dor... from generation to renovation"  campaign has resulted in a new walkway to the front entrance of the Temple without needing to walk steps, the addition of an elevator to all levels of the Temple and a handicapped accessible restroom.  In addition, the Bimah in the sanctuary has been lowered and a ramp leading to the Bimah allowing for all members of the congregation to participate in services.  Still to be completed are new seating for the sanctuary and chapel/library and carpeting.  This campaign is ongoing and support to the project is still welcome.

 

In 2018, we welcomed Rabbi Liz P.G. Hirsch to Temple Anshe Amunim.  In addition to her duties as our rabbinic leader, Rabbi Liz is our director of education, overseeing our religious school and adult learning.

Mon, September 16 2019 16 Elul 5779